This notice describes how we collect and use personal data about you, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017, and any other relevant implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in Guernsey (‘Data Protection Legislation’).
Please read this notice thoroughly to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
2. OUR COMPANY
de garis accounting Ltd is a company of chartered accountants. We are registered in Guernsey as a limited liability company under number 61438 and our registered office is at Les Martins, Les Martins, Saint Sampson’s, Guernsey, GY2 4XW.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Legislation and this notice, we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you. We are required under the Data Protection Legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
Alex Jenner is our Data Protection Officer and is responsible for assisting with enquiries in relation to this privacy notice and or our treatment of your personal data. Should you wish to contact our Data Protection Officer you can do so using the contact page on our website https://degaris.gg/contact/ .
3. HOW WE MAY COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We obtain personal data about you, for example, when:
• you request a proposal from us in respect of the services we provide;
• you engage us to provide our services and also during the provision of those services;
• you contact us by email, telephone, post or social media (for example when you have a query about our services); or
• from third parties and/or publicly available resources (for example, from your employer, the Income Tax office, the Social Security Department or from the Guernsey Registry);
• you visit our website (see below).
4. THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
The information we hold about you may include the following:
• your personal details (such as your name, date of birth and/or address);
• details of contact we have had with you in relation to the provision, or the proposed provision, of our services;
• details of any services you have received from us;
• our correspondence and communications with you;
• information about any complaints and enquiries you make to us;
• information from research, surveys, and marketing activities;
• Information we receive from other sources, such as publicly available information, information provided by our clients.
5. HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
We may process your personal data for purposes necessary for the performance of our contract with you and to comply with our legal obligations.
We may process your personal data for the purposes necessary for the performance of our contract with our clients. This may include processing your personal data where you are an employee, subcontractor, supplier or customer of our client.
We may process your personal data for the purposes of our own legitimate interests provided that those interests do not override any of your own interests, rights and freedoms which require the protection of personal data. This includes processing for marketing, business development, statistical and management purposes.
We may process your personal data for certain additional purposes with your consent, and in these limited circumstances where your consent is required for the processing of your personal data then you have the right to withdraw your consent to processing for such specific purposes.
Please note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data.
Situations in which we will use your personal data
We may use your personal data in order to:
• carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us (which will most usually be for the provision of our services);
• carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between our clients and us (which will most usually be for the provision of our services) where you may be a subcontractor, supplier, employee or customer of our client;
• provide you with information related to our services and our events and activities that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, provided you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
• seek your thoughts and opinions on the services we provide; and
• notify you about any changes to our services.
In some circumstances we may anonymise or pseudonymise the personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use it without further notice to you.
If you refuse to provide us with certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you. Alternatively, we may be unable to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
We may also process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in accordance with this notice, where we are legally required or permitted to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected.
When assessing what retention period is appropriate for your personal data, we take into consideration:
• the requirements of our business and the services provided;
• any statutory or legal obligations;
• the purposes for which we originally collected the personal data;
• the lawful grounds on which we based our processing;
• the types of personal data we have collected;
• the amount and categories of your personal data; and
• whether the purpose of the processing could reasonably be fulfilled by other means.
Change of purpose
Where we need to use your personal data for another reason, other than for the purpose for which we collected it, we will only use your personal data where that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
Should it be necessary to use your personal data for a new purpose, we will notify you and communicate the legal basis which allows us to do so before starting any new processing.
6. DATA SHARING
Why might you share my personal data with third parties?
We will share your personal data with third parties where we are required by law, where it is necessary to administer the relationship between us or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
Which third-party service providers process my personal data?
“Third parties” includes third-party service providers. The following activities are carried out by third-party service providers: IT and cloud services, professional advisory services, administration services, marketing services and archiving.
All of our third-party service providers are required to take commercially reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect your personal data. We only permit our third-party service providers to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
What about other third parties?
We may share your personal data with other third parties, for example in the context of the possible sale or restructuring of the business. We may also need to share your personal data with a regulator or to otherwise comply with the law.
7. DATA SECURITY
We have put in place commercially reasonable and appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
8. RIGHTS OF ACCESS, CORRECTION, ERASURE, AND RESTRICTION
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Should your personal information change, please notify us of any changes of which we need to be made aware by contacting us, using the contact details below.
A full summary of your legal rights over your data can be found on the Data Protection Commissioner’s website here: https://odpc.gg/your-rights/
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please email our data protection point of contact via [email protected]
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
We will need two copies of forms of identification to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
9. SYSTEMS ACCESS
All staff of de garis accounting Limited are given access to your Xero file (and other add-on systems as appropriate), and if you own the subscription we request manage user access to facilitate this. This enables staff to provide support and access accounts for normal course of business.
10. RIGHT TO WITHDRAW CONSENT
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal data for a specific purpose (for example, in relation to direct marketing that you have indicated you would like to receive from us), you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please email our data protection point of contact [email protected]
Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your personal information (personal data) for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
11. CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
Any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be updated on our website www.degaris.gg .
This privacy notice was last updated on 3rd February 2021.
12. CONTACT US
If you have any questions regarding this notice or if you would like to speak to us about the manner in which we process your personal data, please email our Data Protection Officer via [email protected] or [email protected] or telephone our office on 01481 254748.
Website Notice: Your Acceptance of this Policy